Annulment And Legal Separation Resolution

Last updated on October 6, 2020

At Pearson & Paris, P.S.C., in La Grange, we are knowledgeable about legal dissolutions for a variety of different relationships. Whether you wonder if divorce or legal separation is best or think that your union qualifies for annulment, we can provide advice and advocacy for your situation to resolve your legal matters.

Legal Separation – A Divorce Alternative

Kentucky law permits married couples to end their marriage through divorce, legal separation or annulment. When you seek the dissolution of your marriage through a legal separation, the court must enter orders for the division of marital assets and debts, child custody, parenting time, and child support, spousal support, and the allocation of attorney’s fees and costs.

After the court enters a separation decree, the spouses remain married. However, there no longer exists a marital estate, and they are able to live separate lives. In contrast, a divorce decree terminates the marriage, and the parties are free to remarry if they so choose.

Annulment For Invalid Marriages

There may be instances where we could petition the court to annul, or set aside, the marriage because the marriage was not valid at the time it was entered into. In Kentucky, there are types of marriages that cannot be sustained and can be set aside by the court, including:

  • Marriages within a certain degree of blood relationship
  • Where one or both parties to the marriage are mentally disabled
  • Where the marriage would result in bigamy
  • When one or both parties to the marriage is under age
  • Marriages entered into by fraud or duress

We can sit down and talk about your situation to determine whether your marriage is eligible for annulment.

Dissolution For Unmarried Couples

Unmarried couples can dissolve their relationship by utilizing the same procedures as a business partnership or a joint venture would use to dissolve. Unmarried couples can use the same statutes as married couples to determine child custody, parenting plans and child support obligations. We can guide you through the process of legally ending this type of relationship while preserving your and your children’s rights.

Take Action Today

Contact the La Grange metro area office of Pearson & Paris, P.S.C., at 502-688-5200 or email us to schedule an initial consultation about your family law issue. We serve clients in all counties throughout the greater Louisville area.